LOOKING for a new app or game to try? Apple has revealed the most popular iPhone downloads for 2019.
Top picks include Nintendo’s hit racer Mario Kart Tour, Heads Up!, and the Driving Theory Test 4 in 1 Kit.
Every December, Apple reveals the top downloads for the year gone by.
This year it announced the winners at a special event in New York City for the first time ever.
Topping the list of free apps in the UK were an unsurprising bunch: WhatsApp, Instagram and Snapchat.
This was followed by YouTube, Messenger, and then Facebook in sixth – no shocks there.
More interesting are the iPhone apps that Brits paid money for.
The most popular paid iPhone app was the Driving Theory Test 4 in 1 Kit, which helps wannabe motorists revise for £4.99.
This theme continued to second place too, with the Official DVSA Theory Test Kit.
And in third place was The Wonder Weeks, which helps new parents track the mental development of their baby.
When it comes to games, the biggest free hit was Mario Kart Tour.
Gamers were delighted when Nintendo brought its iconic racing game to the iPhone.
All the favourites – including Mario, Bowser and Peach – are featured in the game, as well as loads of classic racetracks.
And although you can spend money in the game, it’s possible to download and enjoy Mario Kart Tour without paying a penny.
Britain’s favourite paid iPhone game, meanwhile, was Heads Up! – an Ellen DeGeneres creation.
The £0.99 hit is like Charades for the 21st century. Choose a category, then hold your phone against your forehead.
The aim is to guess the words on your screen using clues from pals.
Check out the full list of winners below:
Top Free iPhone Apps:
- 1. WhatsApp Messenger
- 2. Instagram
- 3. Snapchat
- 4. YouTube: Watch, Listen, Stream
- 5. Messenger
- 6. Facebook
- 7. Spotify: Get music and podcasts
- 8. TikTok – Make Your Day
- 9. Netflix
- 10. Google Maps – Transit & Food
- 11. FaceApp – AI Face Editor
- 12. Uber Eats: Food Delivery
- 13. Amazon
- 14. Gmail – Email by Google
- 15. Wish – Shopping Made Fun
- 16. Uber
- 17. Just Eat – Food Delivery
- 18. Twitter
- 19. Microsoft Outlook
- 20. eBay Shopping – Buy and Sell
Top Paid iPhone Apps:
- 1. Driving Theory Test 4 in 1 Kit
- 2. Official DVSA Theory Test Kit
- 3. The Wonder Weeks
- 4. Forest – Stay focused
- 5. Facetune
- 6. Dark Sky Weather
- 7. Squeezy NHS Pelvic Floor App
- 8. Ski Tracks
- 9. TouchRetouch
- 10. Afterlight — Photo Editor
- 11. kirakira+
- 12. Toca Hair Salon 3
- 13. Procreate Pocket
- 14. CITB Op/Spec HS&E test 2019
- 15. Northern Lights Photo Taker
- 16. AutoSleep Tracker for Watch
- 17. Hit the Button Maths
- 18. HappyCow Find Vegan Food
- 19. Full Fitness : Exercise Workout Trainer
- 20. Freya • Surge Timer
Apple’s App Store – a brief history
Here’s what you need to know…
- The App Store is Apple’s iconic platform for distributing apps on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch
- It lets users browse and download apps for their gadgets – some free, some paid-for
- Although the original iPhone was released in June 2007, the App Store didn’t open until July 2008
- There were just 500 apps at launch – today there are more than 2million
- Apple redesigned the App Store with iOS 11 in September 2017
- This introduced more focus on daily highlights, as well as recommendations, guides and interviews from Apple’s in-house app teams
- Anyone can create apps and submit them to the App Store
- However, Apple reviews and approves all apps
- Apple reveals the most popular apps and games on the App Store in December each year
- For 2019, the most popular free app was WhatsApp, and the most popular free game was Mario Kart Tour
Top Free iPhone Games:
- 1. Mario Kart Tour
- 2. Coin Master
- 3. Color Bump 3D
- 4. aquapark.io
- 5. Fun Race 3D
- 6. Stickman Hook
- 7. 8 Ball Pool™
- 8. Draw it
- 9. BitLife – Life Simulator
- 10. Drive and Park
- 11. Paper.io 2
- 12. AMAZE!!!
- 13. Magic Tiles 3: Piano Game
- 14. Run Race 3D
- 15. Crowd City
- 16. Traffic Run!
- 17. Polysphere – art of puzzle
- 18. Fortnite
- 19. Helix Jump
- 20. Call of Duty®: Mobile
Top Paid iPhone Games:
- 1. Heads Up!
- 2. Football Manager 2019 Mobile
- 3. Minecraft
- 4. Plague Inc.
- 5. The Chase: Ultimate Edition
- 6. Rebel Inc.
- 7. Bloons TD 6
- 8. Tenable
- 9. Pocket Build
- 10. Bloons TD 5
- 11. Tipping Point
- 12. Geometry Dash
- 13. Earn to Die 2
- 14. Football Chairman Pro
- 15. Motorsport Manager Mobile 3
- 16. Countdown – The Official TV Show App
- 17. Mini Metro
- 18. Stardew Valley
- 19. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
- 20. Construction Simulator 3
In other news, a tech blogger has revealed the possible design for next year’s iPhone 12.
If you’re looking for a handset you can actually get your hands on, check out our iPhone 11 review.
And for those with more money to burn, take a look at our iPhone 11 Pro review.
What’s your favourite iPhone app or game of the year? Let us know in the comments!
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at email@example.com