LOS ANGELES — Ethan Anderson stood with his hands on his hips during the National Anthem on Thursday. For the first time since Dec. 1, the USC point guard was going to play after dealing with a nagging back injury, and he was ready to get back to work.

The sophomore had to wait through 5:32 of game time, limited to a bench role as the Trojans took the cautious approach. But it was the perfect game to ease him back into, as USC ran away with a 95-68 victory over Washington.

The Trojans (10-2 overall, 4-1 in Pac-12 play) were led by a career-high 18 points from Isaiah Mobley and 17 from his younger brother Evan as they extended their winning streak to five games.

As Anderson watched and waited for his first minutes in more than a month, USC got off to a blistering start, making its first eight shots, including two 3-pointers from Tahj Eaddy.

The Mobley brothers threw lobs to each other from inside the free-throw line for dunks, and USC built a double-digit lead as Washington (1-10, 0-6) started 3 for 13 from the field and got started on what would be a 16-turnover night for the Huskies.

Anderson checked in with 14:28 left in the first half. His first offensive possession was spent off the ball as Drew Peterson ran the offense. But the next time up the court, Anderson drove right, drew contact and threw up a wild, scoop lob to Isaiah Mobley, who dunked it.

“He was consistent, he made a couple of nice passes,” head coach Andy Enfield said. “He made one or two passes that he’s the only guy on the team who can make those.”

Anderson checked out after 3:58 of game time, and that’s how Enfield kept his stints: Short and to the point. The guard had another three-minute shift later in the first half, but after he hit the court hard trying to draw a charge, Enfield pulled Anderson until halftime.

“He’s on a minutes restriction right now,” Enfield said. “If we can do somewhat similar on Saturday, we’ll probably do the same.”

Source link


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here